Choosing the right contractor to install or replace the windows of your home or business is very important if you want to ensure that you get a fair price, the work completed on time, but most importantly, that the work is done right. Like most industries, many window companies have salespeople who will attempt to coerce you into buying windows on the spot using “hard-sell” techniques. Do not fall for these tactics. Instead, choose a company with proper credentials, references, and one that you feel comfortable that they will do the best possible job for you. With that in mind, the following is a checklist from AAA Windows 4 Less to help you evaluate which window replacement company is best for you:
- Look for company that carries a C17 Glazing License. Even better, look for a company that not only has a C17 Glazing License, but also has a General Contractor’s License.
- Ask a prospective contractor to provide proof of insurance. A window replacement contractor should carry liability and worker’s compensation insurance
- Look for a company that specializes in windows and doors specifically. A “jack of all trades, master of none,” will not do the best job.
- Ask for references from previous jobs, or use websites like the Better Business Bureau and/or Yelp to get 3rd party assessments of the quality of work done by the company
- Do not use a company that utilizes sub-contractors to do the actual work. Subcontractors are often times paid based upon how many windows they install, motivating them to concentrate on the quantity of their work rather than the quality.
Remember: There are lots of different contractors and companies out there vying to earn your business. Do your homework and make sure you choose the company that will be the best fit for you.
By: Paul Doh